Black, white, gay, or straight, every individual is capable of being responsible. The same holds true of both genders and each generation, including those Millennials whom are often accused of being so difficult to manage. Barring a true physical or psychological impairment, people don’t perform based upon preconceived notations or generalized stereotypes. They live up to their capabilities if we encourage and allow them to do so.
Radical Accountability ensures that capabilities are properly aligned with responsibilities. It does not buy into generalizations that one type of person is better than another or has pre-ordained limitations because of the generation he was born into.
Competent leadership that employs Radical Accountability follows the Capability-Responsibility Chain:
- Roles are clearly defined, especially the specific capabilities required for success.
- People are matched and hired based upon their interpersonal, behavioral, and professional capabilities.
- The onboarding process reinforces the clear and reasonable expectations of the role, which were first introduced during the interview process.
- Individualized development begins day one and continues in perpetuity to accentuate capabilities and leverage them to counter inherent weaknesses.
- Within six months of hire, each employee begins mentoring a brand new employee, giving back what they’ve received while reinforcing their own development.
This Week’s Radical Accountability Activating Action: Begin using the Capability-Responsibility Chain in your next round of hiring. For current employees, you can “catch up” by ensuring role capabilities are clarified, communicated, developed, and made fully accountable.
The Leadership Accelerator: A rapid advancement experience that turns today’s leaders in to tomorrow’s successors.
RADICAL ACCOUNTABILITY ON CALL – An in-depth program for integrating improved accountability in your culture.
Follow me on Twitter! You can find me here: https://twitter.com/ScottWintrip
Every day I provide pithy pieces of advice and wisdom. Join the growing crowd who read these gems every day.
You may subscribe and encourage others to subscribe by clicking here.
Check out my podcast series called Simply Scott on iTunes.
If you’d like to reach me, email: scott@ScottWintrip.com or call my direct line: (727) 502-9182
Visit my web site: https://www.WintripConsultingGroup.com